The Nazarene Way of
Translated from the original Aramaic by Rev. G.J.R. Ouseley
The Agony In The Garden
1. AND as they went to the Mount of Olives, Iesus said unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night; for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.
2. Simon answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not; and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
3. And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both unto prison and unto death. And Iesus said, I tell thee, Simon, the cock shall not crow this night, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
4. Then cometh Iesus with them, having crossed the brook Kedron, unto the garden called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here while I go and pray yonder. (Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place, for Iesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples.)
5. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry ye here, and watch with me.
6. And he went little farther and fell on his face and prayed, saying, O my Father-Mother, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt.
7. And there appeared an angel unto him, from heaven strengthening him. And he cometh unto the disciples and finding them asleep, saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
8. Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
9. He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, O my Father-Mother, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, Thy will be done.
10. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling to the ground.
11. And he came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy.
12. And he left them and went away again and prayed a third time, saying, O my Father-Mother, not my will but Thine be done, in earth as it is in heaven.
13. Then cometh he unto his disciples and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest; behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.
Return to Holy Week index menu
Back to The Nazarene Way main menu
The Nazarene Way of Essenic Studies
Subscribe to: Essene Holy Communions
Email us at: email@example.com
Please, Sign our Guest Book!